Friday, March 14, 2008

Santa Cruz: Day 1

Another hot day in California :) My opening round was late this afternoon, so I spent most of today saving energy and getting ready for the heat. With a good swell kicking in and a pushing tide, conditions were getting pretty good. With moderate winds and a good 150m, the paddle out was hard work and the heat was set to be pretty physical. My main rival was former Scottish champion, Neil Baxter, but I was feeling fairly confident going into the heat. The heat started really well, with a nice 10ft set after 30 secs, solid surfing secured a good start. Right through the heat the waves just kept coming and every time i got out back another nice set shaped up. (The surf Gods were certainly favouring me today!) Another 3 solid waves, including a small aerial on the inside (I think the only one of today), secured a 1st place and tied highest score of the day in World Cup Class. So a really good day and the perfect start to the event. My next round is an earlier start in the morning at 9.20, and the forecast is mixed but feeling confident for another good heat.

No comments: